Chauncey is one of the oldest children of Robert and Rachel Coventry. (At least, I think he is. Do I need to start every post in this series with “I think…”? Cuz I have no direct evidence, so, yeah, I probably do.)
I first found Chauncey when I found the record on Ancestry.com for Robert and Rachel Coventry. But, alas, no sources. So I am researching him without being completely certain he’s my g-g-g-g-grand-uncle. That’s ok though.
Since then I have found him in the following:
- 1821 – Birth in Hillsdale, Columbia County, New York
- 1830 - possible child in the household of Robert Coventry, Liberty, Sullivan, NY
- 1840 – possible child in the household of Rachel Coventry, Broome, Schoharie, NY
- 1850 – Not found!
- 1854 – NY Land Deed Books – Liberty, Sullivan, NY (FamilySearch.org, unindexed collection)
- 1860 – US Census – Liberty, Sullivan, NY
- 1870 – US Census - Liberty, Sullivan, NY
- 1875 – NY State Census - Liberty, Sullivan, NY
- 1878? – A collection of family records by Charles Henry James Douglas – in Robertsonville (Ancestry.com record)
- 1880 – US Census – Callicoon, Sullivan, NY, living with Warren P (son – wife is with their daughter, she had recently given birth)
- 1890 – New York Gravestone Inscriptions – Liberty, Sullivan, NY (Ancestry.com record)
- 1890 – Death from cholera, Find a Grave reference, of Jeffersonville, Sullivan, NY, but buried in Liberty Cemetery, Sullivan, NY
Evidence that ties him to this family:
- The Find a Grave reference to his birth in 1821 says he was born in Hillsdale. James Spencer Coventry was also said to have been born in Hillsdale in 1822. The family was most likely in Columbia County until sometime in the 1820s.
- He lived much of his life in Liberty, Sullivan, NY, where Robert Coventry was found in 1830.
- Spencer Swart is living with the family in 1860, age 13. That surname will come up again….
- Where was he in 1850??! He’s not in the US census indexes for that year, so I probably need to go page-by-page through the city records to see if he’s really there.
- Where should I look for his death information in 1890?
- Was there a New York census for 1885? Is his wife shown as being with him again?
- Check with Sullivan County for death records in 1890 (e-mail sent)
- Find original Sullivan County Democrat reference to Chauncey’s death (copy on FindAGrave)
- Check into Hillsdale church records for his birth the 1820-1828 time frame
- Check into Hillsdale history for the same time frame
I am really hoping his death record will show his parents’ names.