Hulda Coventry was born ~1830, which would make her the 6th child of Robert and Rachel Coventry, the 2nd daughter.
Here is her timeline and the records I’ve found her in:
- 1830 Birth – Based on census/death information
- 1840 Residence – Broome, Schoharie, NY – possible child in the household of Rachel Coventry
- 1850 Residence – Claverack, Columbia, NY, US Federal Census
- ~1855 Residence – Connecticut, based on their son William C. being shown as being born in Connecticut in two separate censuses
- 1860 Residence – North East, Dutchess, New York, US Federal Census
- 1865 Residence – North East, Dutchess, New York, NY State Census
- 1870 Residence – North East, Dutchess, New York, US Federal Census
- 1875 Residence – North East, Dutchess, New York, NY State Census
- 1880 Residence – North East, Dutchess, New York, US Federal Census
- 1892 Residence – North East, Dutchess, New York, NY State Census
- 1900 Residence – North East, Dutchess, New York, US Federal Census
- 1903 Death – Amenia, NY Times Newspaper, Obituary
NY State Death certificate
Find A Grave Memorial
What ties her to this family?
- I first found her because she was living with my ancestor, her brother William Coventry in the 1900 census. Or, more accurately, he was living with her, and his relationship to her is shown as her brother. Since her married name is given, I was able to trace her back through the censuses (though she was often listed as Jane Owen rather than Hulda Owen).
- Another item that ties her to this family is that Loren Swart is living with her during 1860, and two other Swart children are living with Chauncey and Calvin from 1850-1860.)
- This one is a little bit of a stretch, but their son William C. was shown in a couple censuses as being born in Connecticut in around 1855. (Those that don’t show him being born there seem less accurate overall.) This is the same general time frame that Calvin lived in Connecticut as well, so perhaps they lived in the same area?
- See if there are any land records for Alonzo Owen in Connecticut during that time frame. Look into what records are available for that area then.
- Find Alonzo Owen’s probate records on FamilySearch. I have seen them before but can’t seem to find them at the moment so…. (maybe it was just the index?)
- Alonzo was married before Hulda; he is shown alone in 1850, but shows a daughter “E” or “Agnes” born ~1848, before Alonzo and Hulda were married. He is about 15 years older than Hulda. Where was E or Agnes in 1850…? He was alone. Could there have been even older children?