Cynthia is probably the oldest child/oldest daughter of Robert and Rachel Coventry.
I was very excited to find an index of her christening record as a child of both Robert and Rachel Coventry in 1818. It’s the only other record I have ever come across with a Robert and Rachel Coventry together for the correct time frame.
That said, I don’t have much else on her, at all. It looks like she was with the family in the 1830 and 1840 censuses, but by the time 1850 rolls around, she’s nowhere to be found. I’m sure she got married in the intervening years, but here are the specifics of what I have:
- 1821 – Birth in Manorton, Columbia County, New York
- 1820 – possible child in the household of Robert Coventry, Hillsdale, Columbia, NY
- 1830 – possible child in the household of Robert Coventry, Liberty, Sullivan, NY
- 1840 – possible child in the household of Rachel Coventry, Broome, Schoharie, NY
The interesting part is in looking at the census records for Calvin and Chauncy Coventry and Hulda Owen in 1850, 1855, and 1860. To begin, this family that seems like it goes together only has two daughters, Cynthia and Hulda. Cynthia was born in 1818, Hulda in ~1830. So there’s a good 12 years between them. And I’ve already established that Hulda’s last name is Owen, leaving only Cynthia the mystery. So here are the interesting finds:
- Chauncey has “Spencer Swart” living with him in 1855 and 1860 in Liberty. Spencer was 8 in 1855 and 13 in 1860. And…the best part about it? The 1855 New York census is wonderful for that time frame. It lists where children were born and their relationship to the head of household. Spencer is listed as “Nephew,” born in Columbia County and living in Sullivan County for 6 months. If that’s the case, it gives us a possibility for Cynthia’s married name, “Swart.” Cynthia’s only sister (assuming this is the correct family) is Hulda Jane Coventry who has not yet married in 1850.
- Calvin has “Sarah J Swart” living with him in 1850. This looks like a poor candidate for a daughter of Cynthia because she would have been born in 1836, when Cynthia was just 18. And…the family living with Rachel in 1840 has a girl Cynthia’s age, but not a girl Sarah’s age. That doesn’t mean there’s not a connection, though… Perhaps Sarah is a relative of the Cynthia Swart family?
- Hulda has “Loren Swart” living with her and her husband in 1860 in North East, Dutchess, NY. Loren, M, is 14, making him born close to 1846, making him close in age to Spencer.
Swart is actually a common name in Liberty, one of its earlier settlers was named Swart. Further searching doesn’t find many candidates for “Cynthia,” and none with the Swart surname, so this will be a work in progress.
Unfortunately, I haven’t yet been able to find these children in any other census records before or after these censuses. Of course, I haven’t ventured much outside of FamilySearch yet, so that will be my next work, to spread my search out further for these children.